Monday, October 5, 2009

Vertigo

I can't believe how long it takes to get anywhere in this station, and how far apart everything is. My parents would take me on mining trips spanning dozens of AU but distances on this place feel insane. Trams are only slightly better than walking; the corp that invents an in station warp will own the universe.

Turns out Monsieur Feritte is a CAS corporate agent, so his office is out in the up scale, hammer head of the station. Turns out he is a very low standing agent, so his office is way out at the tip of the hammer head. Naturally, student quarters are way out on the end of one of the opposite arms. When I figure out why you put the two locations students spend the most time at on opposite ends of the station, I'll demand an elite Entrepeneur cert. pour libre.

The tram drops me off at Concourse Y4. No observation deck or lounge down here; no tourists or bored people wander down to the grubby areas of the station. The green grey walls and exposed ducts sneer "Service personnel only. Oh yeah, *students* too... snicker." Three flights of metal stairs, stairs mind you, a long hall, and the doors slide open to the extended catwalk. At least the doors are automatic.




Oh, sweet pod... the vertigo! I quickly close my eyes and grab the rail with white nuckles. Opening them to a squint, I stare at the catwalk and quickly make my way out to my ship. Even a niche bay is huge, but manageable to the brain; it's the immense emptiness of the main bay I can see past my ship that flips my stomach.

Space is big, but you can't get any scale of it, might as well be in a room painted black. To get a true feeling of massiveness, you need to be in a void like the main bay, something with a wall so far away it makes your head spin and your stomach flop. The light of ships moving about the bay look like toys. Just keep thinking about the catwalk. And hit the pod lock.

The hand pad scans and accepts my dna pattern. "Identity accepted" coos a sexy voice in my ear. At least the engineering students got that part plugged in correctly. I think one of the students may have been a bit frustrated and thinking of other plug ins, however; I may need to dial the voice back a bit. Distracting. I step into the access way and turn right, away from the live berths and up to the pod in the bow. The hatch irises open, and I step in to become a capsuleer for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment